30 May 2009

Mia - one of my favourite and best students...

Dearest Mia - I am so shocked and saddened by the news of your passing. I have had so much losss in my own family that I sense and know how all those close to her will feel. Mia was the first student I ever met, on my first day at Southampton Institute ( now Southampton Solent University).In the three years I taught her, it was always a pleasure to meet her, either in class or around the campus. She was vivacious, friendly, intelligent and so full of life and spirit. We shared a passion for Spain and Journalism - I always remember how she liked George Monbiot! She also liked coffee and beer, so I recall after class meeting for a chat, where we discussed all manner of things - always aided by coffee followed by a beer. I remember an Indian meal we shared together one evening after a late lecture. And later, after her graduation, receiving news from her in Afghanistan!
I teach many students each and every year, and of course each one is special. But Mia really stood out - mature, thoughtful,idealistic, amusing - beautiful in every way, with so much to offer and give.She had the travel bug, as do I, so it is no suprise to see pictures of her in so many parts of this world of ours - her smile and her absolute involvement in whatever she was doing radiates through all of them.
To her family and her friends, rest assured that dear Mia will be in my thoughts and prayers - from Jim O'Brien, her teacher and friend - Southampton Solent University

No comments:

Post a Comment