24 May 2009

 I was lucky enough to meet Mia and Adam a couple of years ago in New York through one of my best friends in the world Adam Chasan (left of Mia in this picture).  We immediately became friends.  Both Mia and Adam had such a lovely way of making you feel like they've known you forever.  Every time I went over to the Lower East Side to play a gig or catch someone else's (often Adam's) I always hoped I might run into Mia and our discussion of life, philosophy, art, film, food and world politics would continue, amidst constant joking and laughing.  Every time I'd find Mia sitting in front of her favorite cafe or smiling at the bar grooving to Adam's sets, we'd start in joking and catching up like no time had passed at all.   Occasionally, Mia's old Spain gang would be reunited downtown.  Then the party really got going!  What a wonderful group of people!  Mia loved them all so dearly and they all loved her every bit as much.  The picture above is an i-phone picture Mia sent me after one such evening of goofing around with Mia, Sandra and their respective Adams.  
In the course of the last year we managed to meet up a lot when Mia was home.  We caught a couple of movies at the Sunshine on Houston, we worked on a translation together for one of Mia's research projects, we attended Adam and Sandra's beautiful wedding and had a lovely dinner and visit over at Adam and Mia's place.  I miss Mia terribly and always will.  She was a beautiful, wonderful friend who's rare intelligence was matched only by her rare kindness.  She was a soulful, open hearted original thinker, an eloquent speaker and a great listener.  My heart goes out to Adam.  He is a beautiful man.  Mia loved him so deeply and his boundless love for Mia is a gift to us all.  My heart goes out to Mia's family and all of her wonderful friends, many of whom I have the privilege of calling my own friends now.  Mia is indeed an angel.  We are blessed to have her living in our hearts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment