02 June 2009

Mia's Room in Geneva

I knew Mia for a relatively short period of time… since june 2006. That summer she spent one month in Geneva, doing an internship at UNICEF, she enjoyed it immensely, as she always wanted to work there. She lived at Javier's place (a Spanish friend and work colleague) for three weeks, then she moved into my flat for the last week, when Javier had to go to Spain at short notice. Javier had told me we would really hit it off... he told me how great she was, how special... Javier tends to exaggerate, so I did not really take him seriously until I met her and I did realize she was really one of a kind, a truly beautiful person, inspiring and energetic, with a rare quality to see the best in everyone and everything, able to make the most of every moment and every situation.

During that week, she got me to watch the last season of Sex and the City (she couldn't believe I had never followed it!!) as I lent her the first season of Desperate Housewives... we baptized the spare room in my new Geneva apartment as "Mia's room", as she was my very first guest...We shared early evening drinks by the lake, nice dinners at my favourite Geneva spots, and a couple of late night chats at home wondering what strange forces of nature had brought us together to that exact minute, grateful for the fantastic day we had just had, the great summer we were enjoying, the plans we had next -she was moving to New York, I planned to furnish my flat. She'd then go into her room and spend some more time with her inseparable Apple... writing e-mails, listening to her music... she recorded me a couple of CDs with a totally eclectic mixture of music which I loved, and I have been listening since endlessly while driving my car. As with everyone she met, we created immediately a very strong bond, I felt her always very close, we kept in touch regularly, regardless of how long it had been since we had seen each other, and I feel I shared with her very special moments in her life. I was with her in New York shortly after she moved into a lovely flat on the Lower East Side "... not very chic but hip and trendy" which she shared with Andy "...my super nice flatmate, he's just arrived from Barcelona: you'll like him", the beginnings with Adam, "he's really cool, and very cute, have seen him four evenings in a row, Marta, FOUR! and his birthday gig...that was incredible!!", he is the man who was going to become her husband...
I am deeply saddened by her loss, and my heart goes out to Adam, Nina and the rest of her family and friends. I am not sad for her, I know she wouldn't want me to.... she lived a full life, the way she wanted it, and she has left a trail of fondness, happiness, optimism, kindness, beauty and so much more in each of us. We will remember her always strong, a fighter, with her cheerful voice, big smile and her great untiring positive attitude.
Miss you Mia. Sending big hugs wherever you are.

Marta XX

No comments:

Post a Comment