15 February 2010

Dreaming.


A friend recently shared this quote from Jacques Brel, the Belgian songwriter. I don't know if Mia knew this quote, but it's so very very her. (Coincidentally, Mia and I had not just one but *two* holidays together in Brussels.) "Le seul fait de rêver est déjà très important. Je vous souhaite des rêves à n'en plus finir et l'envie furieuse d'en réaliser quelques uns. Je vous souhaite d'aimer ce qu'il faut aimer et d'oublier ce qu'il faut oublier. Je vous souhaite des silences. Je vous souhaite des chants d'oiseaux au réveil et des rires d'enfants. Je vous souhaite de résister à l'enlisement, à l'indifférence, aux vertus négatives de notre époque. Je vous souhaite surtout d'être vous."

Here is a literal translation, from Google. Would anyone care to offer a more nuanced interpretation? "The mere dream is already very important. I wish you dreams that will not quit and the furious desire to make a few. I wish you to love what is love and forget what to forget. I wish you silences. I wish you the songs of birds wake up and the laughter of children. I hope you resist the stalemate, the indifference, the negative virtues of our time. I especially want to be you."

This photo is one Mia shot in December 2006, from Pier 17 in NYC. The terrace there—offering a stunning view of the Brooklyn Bridge—was one of her secret hideaways in the city. She particularly loved being there at sunup and sunset.

1 comment:

  1. "The simple act of dreaming is already terribly important. I wish for you neverending dreams and the undying passion to realise some of them. I wish for you to love what should be loved and forget what isn't worth remembering. I wish moments of silence for you. I wish upon you birdsong and children's laughter when you awake. I wish you the ability to resist lethargy, indifference, the negative pulls of our age. I wish upon you most of all that you get to be you."

    Here's your translation Adam - courtesy of my sister Edrei.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete