30 September 2009

A night of music, and friends, and love.


Our friend Todd Chalfant was at the Mia Abides OMF fundraiser and captured some special moments from the evening. You can see a few pics here.

Thinking of Todd now, I'm reminded of something beautiful he did for Mia and me last summer. Todd had been telling us about Fire Island—a place that he likes get away to in the hottest months. His enthusiasm got Mia and me excited enough to want to go to Fire Island, but neither of us had ever been and didn't know where to go or what to do. Todd was happy to set us up in style, advising us about the ferry and arranging a sweet apartment for a long weekend. Soon after we got settled in, the two of us went out to the beach to play backgammon and catch a few rays. The sun was pretty intense that day, and we knew we shouldn't stay in it too long, but then Todd showed up on the beach and built us an impromptu cabana from driftwood, sheets, and towels. We napped awhile in the cool shade. When we opened our eyes, we found Todd had returned—with chips and a bowl of guacamole he'd made just for us. I'll never forget how good that guac tasted—late in the afternoon, alone with Mia, in our cozy shelter by the sea.

Thank you, Todd.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww I love this. I remember you telling me about that guac!!! :) And how happy you two were together out there!

    xx.ambeR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I am Luis Alvarez, a Journalist from Spain. I was in Kabul summer of 2002 and I met Mia at our hotel Mustafa.

    I have to say I just have find this information this night and I am shocking for it. As I was too when a mutual friend told me that Waiss was died.

    Anyway its a tragedy that so special people fade away from our lives been so young.

    I remember perfectly the first time I meet her. It was on the roof-terrace of the hotel the first morning we landed in Kabul. -me and my college López spanish photographer-

    I remember that we start to talk out loud in our language while was drinking a beer, thinking nobody will understand us. Feeling the freedom of this beautifull summer, been on the top of our profession, been on the war, and being so young, fully of life and with the hole world under our feet.

    Why not, we where talking too about the beautifull smile of the blonde woman was sitting right there, in front of us, just two tables far from us.

    About 30 minutes later, when she finish her cup of tea, she close the newspaper, came to us, to intorduce herself kindness and very polite in a perfect spanish.

    My college and me felt really stupid. I apologize if we said any offensive thing. For sure it wasen´t. She start to laught out loud and say - "Don´t care, you didn´t"- Sometimes in my country we forget that our language is one of the most learned and talked in the world.

    Many times we share table with other colleges in the magical nights of this summer. She was allways smiling, and I can´t remember serching in my mind any discourteous, impolite situation. I just remember her smiling and her "full of life" actitude.

    After two months covering the war I suffer a serious car accident at Jalalabad road. An Australian journalist was died and It was a miracle but I safe myself.

    Mia, and all the hotel crew comes to the german hospital at "warehouse compound" the first day the army let them come to visit me. They carry flowers, wine and some presents.

    They stay beside the bed wishing me to recover soon.

    5 days later I returned to the hotel and I decide to invite all guests of the hotel for dinner. The Mustafa staff sacrfied lambs, I buy beers and wine at the Px of the spanish army, Waiss manage all the operation, and 5 hours later most of the people was drunk at the spanish way.

    Mia decide to go to sleep, but she told me something I have never forget. That words will come with me for sure in the future:

    "I remember what you said the embarrasing first time we meet just when you arrive here... You have a beautifull smile too, please don´t let that nobody brokes it"

    Thanks Mia


    Luis Alvarez

    luisphoto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete